In my journey of being “heavy with child”, I have learned people like to be negative. Maybe it is because I am on the other end of the spectrum, but people seem to lay and wait to make some comment to undermind your attitude. Maybe people want you to be miserable like they were or someone they know. Well I can say I have persevered and kept my peachy outlook intact! I also have learned that I want to be a much more understanding fellow “mom”. I want to highlight the happy aspects of pregnancy and having a little one more than repeating the same old story everyone has. I will provide more helpful advice than the things you will read below. On the other end of the spectrum, I have had some very positive people surrounding me. Maybe it is personality types but I have found myself wanting to be around these people a lot more. Anyway, to clarify my point further, here are a few phrases that are really getting old:
- “your life is about to change” – duh…Thanks Captain Obvious. But why do most people have such a negative tone to that?…they obviously love their kids but they feel they need to make you feel like you are making some kind of mistake. Note this also came up when getting married…
- “O you just wait!” – this is a pretty common one that people love to say. This can be about sleeping(like I haven’t gotten the memo that you don’t get sleep), giant boobs, annoying children, etc. I get the point people…
- “Get a lot of sleep now” – yes yes…I know I know. But you can’t stock up on sleep people…this is just part of the role you now have…
- “I bet you want that baby out” – this one has been going on for weeks. Apparently I am a freak for not being miserable all the time. I can say that now, at 39 weeks, I am ready for him to come out….but not for the reasons people feel to impose. I am perfectly happy being pregnant…I am just tired of the “not knowing” of his big day.
And last but CERTAINLY not least: “O you must be so hot”, “It is so miserable outside but you must be really miserable”, “I feel sorry for you having a summer baby” – this one has been the ongoing one. Every since I have had a due date, I have had this comment. I am getting good with the replies though. For instance, do these people think I am a farmer or something? I work in an air-conditioned building all day…I then leave and get in my air-conditioned car, and go to my air-conditioned house. Is this supposed to be tough? I guess I am not following. Yes I have started to avoid taking walks outside with Jack because of the heat ….but you know what, I would probably be woosing out even if I wasn’t pregnant…plus I am slow as molasses. So to counteract all these nay sayers….I have compiled a list of why having a summer baby is super awesome:
- Flip Flops – yeah my feet are giant and I can’t reach them…and I don’t need to! I think I have worn tennis shoes maybe 20 times all summer. Con here: have to have pedicures…and once again, can’t reach my feet
- Dresses and skirts – yes you can wear these in other seasons, but it might be a little cold sometimes. I used to maybe wear one of these once a month before…now I try not to wear them everyday J also I have found anything with a waistband in the last 2 months is just uncomfortable at a desk job
- Pools – enough said
- Stroller weather – little mann will be ready for some prime fall strolling on maternity leave
- Fresh fruits and veggies – I have gotten to eat a lot of fresh summer fruits and veggies…I think I would slack a lot more in the winter.
- Next Swimsuit season – yup…I get a whole year to shape up! Not to mention good age for water play
- Balancing of the Mann family calendar – right now, my fall/winter is packed with things Oct. – Kevin’s B Day, Nov. – Anniversary, Thanksgiving, Dec. – Christmas, In law birthdays, Feb. – Valentine’s day, Mar. – My birthday. This August addition will help have something mid year!
So there! I am Brandy and I am the happiest pregnant lady you will ever meet…so bite me!