As the majority of you know, I am a working mama. Landon goes to daycare 5 days a week 8-4:30ish. We love our daycare and couldn’t be happier. He is well cared for and we feel like they really are a part of our family. They have taught him so many things since he was 10 weeks old including table manners and signs when he didn’t know his words (he still uses signs at 2.5 yrs). I know they have helped shape him into the eater he is today. All the way back to when I brought in my homemade baby food for him to have.
Because they have been an integral part of his eating habits, I thought I would post a week of toddler lunches via daycare:
Tropical Fruit Medley
Black bean quesadilla
As you can see, there is plenty of variety. Hell more than even I give him. sometimes he doesn’t eat it but another advantage there…that is all there is. There isn’t a stock pile of hot dogs in the fridge or extra pasta to whip up. He doesn’t eat? He doesn’t eat. Plain and simple. I feel like this helps us at home with not having more “no!”s to our choices. I mean it happens, but tough shit kid. This is the deal.
Some other facts of our daycare:
- They never have sippy cups for meals. Landon has been drinking out of tiny cups since he was about 9 months old. He is a pro. He can eat with one hand and drink with the other.
- They have an AM snack and PM snack. From my calculations, this is where they usually get most of their carbs. If the lunch is void of carbs, the snack is usually crackers, cereal, etc.
- They have been learning to use utensils since infants. Yeah it was super messy to watch but it is amazing to see how well he can chase a pea around a plate.
- They have to buss their own table. They throw away the remaining food and have a tub to put their dirty dishes and silverware. They also help out by setting the table and cleaning up after.
- Those teachers need some kind of award for taking on feeding 10 2 year olds at a time.
So what are your daycare lunches like? Do you have to pack your own? What do you find to be go to items? I know I have some readers interested in that concept but I am of no help. I never pack lunches…ever. Please discuss in comments. If there is enough interest, I can do a follow up post with tips from you guys!
Here is a couple choice dinners from our week: