I have discussed breakfast here before but I have had questions about it lately. Let’s revisit! Breakfast is our most time constrained meal of the day. I want us all to sit at the table together even if it is a few minutes. No car meals for OCD parents about crumbs in the car. So I often have to make my decision based on a couple of random factors:
- How late are we running?
- Did I wash my hair ?(no. really…I can make all kinds of stuff with that time)
- Did he wake up a cranky pants?
- What do I want to eat?
On top of that, I have to make the decision sometimes in mere minutes. Like when I think he is going to be taking a long time getting ready and then I hear him at the top of the stairs. Those mornings are reserved for cereal bars with cut up fruit or something simple. If we want biscuits or cinnamon rolls? I need a good head start. If he is tolerable, I have time to toast a waffle or muffin. Now if I want something, I just have to have more for him or eat away from him. Of all meals, he always wants what I have. Even if it is 2 different kinds of cereal…he will want what I chose even after he requested the original. So while he is usually easier to deal with at breakfast, it takes some quick thinking with no coffee.
To help out y’all looking for breakfast ideas, here are some of our go tos. Nothing revolutionary but maybe it will remind you of something you want to try:
- Frozen waffle with honey and fruit
- Canned biscuits with honey
- Greek yogurt with granola (Tip: Greek yogurt is thicker than regular so teaching young ones to eat it is less messy. Plus? Protein!)
- Cereal ( Note: Landon doesn’t know of kid’s cereal. I plan to keep it this way for as long as possible. Those Lucky Charms in the cabinet? Mommy’s special cereal)
- English muffin with PB and bananas
- Pancakes (Tip: Cook a bunch on the weekend and save for the week. Throw extra bananas and junk in there for added bonus)
- Cinnamon rolls (Tip: Cook in a waffle iron. It cooks faster and then the icing will stay in the wells and more bite size.
- PB & J…classic. Heck I make mine with waffles 🙂
What are you breakfast choices in a pinch?