We have hit a new non-fun phase of toddlerhood. We think it all started about 2 weeks ago. While Landon was taking a bath, he saw lint floating around in the water and was very worried. “”Get it, mommy!” We scooped it out and went on our way. Then on vacation he saw some and immediately wanted out. We barely had time to wash him. Then it has just gone downhill. Earlier this week, it would seem he is so routined to take a bath that he would get ready and naked, climb into the tub and sit down. Then? FREAK THE FUCK OUT! Wants out…no washing…no nothing. He is visibly terrified of the bath tub. We are now double teaming him at bath time just so we can get his hair washed every 4 days and wiped down. There are a lot of tears and screams and it has taken away the lovely bedtime routine we once had. I am kinda at my wits end. I have no idea what to do. And to prove I didn’t just throw up my arms, here is what we have tried.
- Idea: The water is hurting his skin – We asked him repeatedly if he had an ow. 90% of the time he says no and 10% he says his toes….even when he feet weren’t in the water. I call BS, little man. No visible rash, dry patches, ingrown toe nails(really searching), no history of skin issues.
- Idea: Delaying bed time – Actually he is doing the opposite, he is choosing to brush his teeth and just skip the bath thus making bed time earlier. He still wants in his crib, stories and songs.
- Idea: Trick him into playing – We went and bought tub crayons yesterday to entice him in the tub. No go. He was happy just looking at them from across the tub.
- Idea: He thinks he sees lint so put in bubble bath – Nope. Still wants nothing to do with it.
- Idea: Take a shower with him – Oh HELL NO. He looked like the dog in shower with eyes of pure terror.
I think we may have figured out something last night. When we were drying his hair off (I held him over the tub because his hair was GROSS) and his new Lightening McQueen towel left lint all over his body…and he saw it. “DADDY GET IT!” We had a long talk about that it didn’t hurt and it was just soft lint from his towel. We then got him to show us the lint everywhere. He slowly started getting it off himself and at one point said “Look Daddy. It no hurt!” MAYBE we got somewhere but I have a feel we have a lot of sponge baths in our future. O well…at least I don’t have to clean the tub. Oy.