Welp it’s 2013…woooooo. This year I turn 30 and hopefully get more sleep. I set the bar low. It helps the general cheeriness around here. But being serious for a bit, I do have some “resolutions”. Being a new working mom of 2 is a whole new ball game. I have had 3 months in the groove figure stuff out (and then blow it all to hell over break…good luck, daycare). I can see where the weak points are and where I need to give myself a break.
My friend Laura does a yearly theme. I have never really thought about that kind of thing but I think I need that overarching guidance this year. I think my theme is
The Year of Balance
I know, it seems pretty generic. We all strive for balance but I really want to weigh my feelings more before doing things.
Stop the guilt.
Enjoy my family and friends.
Make the most of my time.
For Liberating Working Moms, Tracy asked us to jot down a few resolutions. I personally made it a goal to word vomit the first 5 things I could think of at the moment what would help me. The commonality? Balance.
So here we go
- Make more large dinner options on Sundays. – Seems specific but in the last month, we got better at thinking ahead. I am not gonna start “meal planning” because that isn’t our style but the idea to make 2 BIG things on Sunday and use a lot of leftovers has been working. A pork loin on the grill and a casserole in the oven. A meatloaf and taco meat. Utilize those sunday afternoon nap times we still have (for now) then our manic evenings in the week are less…well..manic.
- Highly consider a cleaning service. – I am still on the fence. It’s hard to give up control but I am tired of the guilt of not cleaning. Yes, if I spend every night doing a chore and every weekend get my ducks in a row, we can accomplish it…but do I want to use every minute doing that? In those manic evenings, it would be nice to not stress over the dog hair everywhere and the bathroom yuck. Also a toddler boy in the bathroom alone? I NEED REINFORCEMENTS! So I am highly considering the slight cost for my lack of guilt.
- Figure out more 30 minute workouts to do at lunch – I still want to nurse Oliver at lunch. While it seems like a chunk of my day, the pumping and stress of that are more. He won’t be this little for long and I want to cherish it. I have a great opportunity to be able to do this and I want to run with it. So my goal is to use the extra minutes I have to do small workouts. I also may take one day a week for just me at lunch and leave him a bottle. This could be to work out or a lunch with friends.
- Start running again – Maybe if I can get the dinners taken care of in bulk and some help cleaning, I can get a small run in on the weekends. Step one? Getting the jogging stroller fixed!
- Clean out my closet and get some new versatile pieces – I have a lot of clothes I have just hung on to for way too long. I just took some boots from 10 years ago to Goodwill this weekend. I am not looking for a whole new setup with a nursing mom bod (I seem to hang on to some chub until I am done). I am just looking for some variety.
Balance. I want to have more of that. Everything else is gravy.
What are you looking to change this year?