My Missing Mirena

March 14, 2013

in about us,facts about me,pregnancy,raising kidlets

missing mirenaWARNING: I am going to talk a TON about my lady parts and such. If you care not to read this, you can jump over and read about the time Landon got worms because that shit is gross too BUT funny.

We want 2 kids. Let’s just start with that. Playing zone defense isn’t something we are specifically interested in. We are already out of our comfort zone with being only children with 2 kids, so no need to make it more awkward. All that being said, we also feel like permanent birth control at 30 seems a bit much. So for the next little bit, we wanted as close to permanent as we could get. I chose the Mirena IUD.

Back in January, I inquired on the Twitters about people’s experience with their IUDs. Pain on insertion, side effects, etc. People asked for me to blog my experience/responses. I have been putting it on hold because I wanted to play it out for a bit and see my reaction. So let’s break it down from the beginning.

Insertion & After Placement

You can read about the insertion process here. It took about 30 minutes from start to finish.

Others’ experiences: This was a big spectrum. Some people said they had horrible pain on insertion and for a few days after. Major cramping. Bleeding. Some claimed worse than labor contractions. I had none of this. One correlation I did see was folks who said this seemed to have rougher periods than me. I have hardly any cramping and pretty mild periods my whole life on and off birth control. While there were exceptions, this seemed to be related to me. Another data point is when I had a D&C (WAY more invasive obviously) it still didn’t even compare to labor. It sucked but it was manageable. I wasn’t even put under for that and did fine. Other folks said it was just a few cramps and twinges at initial insertion but nothing a little ibuprofen didn’t solve in the next few hours. Lots of range here.

My experience: Mildly painful. Maybe a little cramping when they “sounded” my uterus and a little cramping from insertion but I had barely anything after that. No real spotting. No lasting pain. I took Motrin before I went. I was back in the office in 20 minutes. Nada problem.

Side Effects

Most any literature you read about the Mirena IUD will explain common side effects. I am not going to list them out for you….do your research and your doctor SHOULD tell you about them.

Others’ experiences: I had quite a few answers here. People had mild side effects like breakthrough spotting occasionally and some other common hormonal issues (night sweats, boob pain, etc). Another one wasn’t really a “side effect” but something to note. Some husbands said they could feel the strings. But here are the couple of odd ball ones:

• Depression
  • Extreme anxiety
  • Migraines
  • Rage
  • A constant period in some form

My experience: I had no real side effects right off the bat. None of the usual stuff at least. Around the 1 month mark, I did have some itching and I went in to find a bacterial infection. Once again, it is a common thing. Basically your good vs bacteria war gets out of whack because of something new in the environment. This would be true for anything foreign. I went on some medication for a few days and it cleared right up. But this is all where the real journey began…

The Rest of the Story

While having my exam, my doctor said she couldn’t find my strings. Because of this, I would need to just go get an ultrasound to make sure it was there. Theory was the strings just pushed up into my uterus and she couldn’t find them. Fair enough. A week later (last Friday), I went up to Rex radiology to get an ultrasound. The tech looked…and looked…then asked me to depants for an vaginal ultrasound (oh goodie)…and looked. I could tell this wasn’t going well. I kept optimistic.

A few hours later, as I was grocery shopping, my doctor called me to let me know that they couldn’t find it. It wasn’t in my uterus…at all. So 2 things had either happened. 1) It fell out {desirable} 2) It had gone through my uterus and was now in my pelvis somewhere. I would need an xray to determine that.

Cue panic.

Luckily the Cary branch of Rex’s radiology department was open until 8 pm. I ran home, made pizza for my family, my mom and friend who were visiting and flew out the door before the boys barely finished their dinner. I flew so fast that when I pulled into the parking lot (30 minutes away) I realized i forgot my purse. Wallet, insurance card, credit card, license….you get the picture. I started to tear up. What a shit hole day. I walked in with my biggest sad sack look on my face and asked what they could do. Long story short, because I had been to the hospital earlier in the day, they could use everything on file. The nice ladies even printed out my license copy for me in case I got pulled over on the way home. I need to write them a thank you letter.

So I sat there…alone in the urgent care while texting Laura about what a cunt 2013 is turning out to be {yeah, I said it. I never said I was proper} and talking to Poe about, what else, my vagina {she is a vagenious, you know}. I finally go back for my 30 second xray. The tech knows nothing about IUDs or what I am even really there for. She says I can wait for the radiologist to look at it and then talk to my Dr. after they call her (she was going to call me whenever she knew…because she is awesome). The tech couldn’t tell me anything…but I could tell she knew I was anxious…so she let something slip. I am sure she thought it would ease my anxiety. She was wrong. She said “well good news it’s still in there!”. FUCK. “In there” was the bad option. She just didn’t know that. Bless her heart. I waited for the phone call.

Sure enough. It wasn’t where it was supposed to be. Behold…an IUD NOT in a uterus. Upside down even!

xrayps

So there is a IUD living like a transient hobo in my body. After my initial pity party, I am just rolling with the jokes. Call it a defense mechanism or whatever. All I can do it laugh at this point. Moping gets me no where. Hell I was already thinking up ways to photoshop this post on Sunday. I DO ALL THIS FOR YOU, INTERNET.

So What Happened

Short answer: we don’t know. This happens. 1 in 1000 women. It isn’t unheard of. You sign a waiver when you get it acknowledging it.

A lot of cases are upon insertion. I know this wasn’t the case. 2 weeks after I got it, I had some bleeding. I went in to have it checked and it was there. My bleeding was my first post partum period. Perfect, fucking timing. But point there was the strings were there. So it didn’t go through at insertion.

Our new theory had a couple of pieces. I have a “tilted uterus“. I can remember hearing that from OB exams for years. This puts you at a higher risk for insertion complications. Basically when inserted, since the top of my uterus is off center, the IUD has a higher chance of embedding into the muscle wall. So we THINK it did that and then worked it’s way through. The cramps from the period PLUS breastfeeding could have massaged that sucker right on it’s way. Hooray.

To answer the question in your head, no, it didn’t hurt. I had no idea. There aren’t many nerve endings in there and this is a tiny piece of plastic. Just slips through the fibers. Womp.

Is the Hobo Staying?

No. He is getting evicted. I met with a laproscopic gynecologist yesterday and I am scheduled for surgery on Tuesday. If it is nice to me and just sitting there, it should be super quick and easy but there is always the unknown. It could be wrapped up in something in there. We don’t know until they are in there. I don’t have any pain, so we are hopeful it isn’t lodged in my intestines or other major organs. YAY. So if it goes well, I will be home in time for Kevin to get the boys from daycare and take a nap. A few days to recover and back to relatively normal life. I don’t want to go into the “but ifs” here. Let’s just think happy thoughts, shall we?

Silver Lining

We found it this way. Most people find out in WAY worse ways. Like getting pregnant or getting an infection. While I don’t wish a bacterial infection on anyone, it was a Godsend. For real. I can’t imagine the panic of a pregnancy at this point…especially since MANY end up ectopic.

I also happy I am not in pain. That would suck…obviously.

It hasn’t been that long since it was inserted. This means less likelihood it has built up a lot of scar tissue or worked it’s self up into other organs. Being near the ute makes me feel a lot better than if that xray showed it in my colon or migrating more north. FYI: Don’t google image search this shit. Just don’t.

Moral of the Story

Pay attention to your body and do your research. This manifests itself in many ways. If you don’t feel right, talk to your doctor. I used to label myself as a hypochonriac but fuck that, I am just very aware of my body. It’s how I knew I was pregnant so fast with Ollie. It’s how I know I am starting to get a cold, a yeast infection {what…we aren’t past EW at this point?}, a tendonitis flare up in the works. I know I have healthcare that allows me to check on this stuff but don’t let stuff go too long that it’s a hospital stay instead of a $25 co pay.

If you have an IUD, check your strings often. I never even got to the one month mark to even check but after reading other women’s stories, it is CRUCIAL.

Don’t let me scare you from an IUD. I have had a lot of people tell me they would never get one now…and I kinda hate that. This was a risk I took. I know that {contrary to the 4000 law websites that jumped up at me on my google journey}. My experience is my experience. When I asked around, people were very quick to be like DON’T DO IT. IT HURT SO BAD. but that isn’t everyone. Not a fair statement. As I showed above, I was a higher risk. IUDs are still the most effective temporary birth control. I am just bummed it didn’t work for me and I will have to come up with something else. But please do your research when finding a method for you and your family. I am not here to bash my doctor {she is just awesome. I can’t say it enough. She has called me at night multiple times and I have her cell.}. I am not her to bash IUDs. I am just here to share what happened so it hopefully helps someone else.

I will recap my journey after surgery. Feel free to ask questions…I clearly will tell you anything.

UPDATE: I posted all about the surgery in another post: My Found Mirena

Like what you see?

Subscribe to the feed via RSS to receive instant updates.

Follow me on Twitter and Facebook .

Check out what I am pinning on Pinterest and see what other's have pinned from here.

{ 59 comments… read them below or add one }

Lauren March 14, 2013 at 9:20 am

Oh man..I’m going to get mine taken out at the end of May after having it in for almost 2 1/2 years…and I’m scared that this will be the case, too. My regular ob/gyn didn’t insert it–the doctor that delivered Davis did–and she couldn’t feel the strings at my last physical and said that other doctors make the mistake of snipping them too short. Hoping that the surgery isn’t too intense for you!

Brandy March 14, 2013 at 12:03 pm

Yeah I might insist on an ultrasound to locate it. Maybe I read too many forums about this though. I am just happy we found it this fast and can take action.

Mary January 7, 2014 at 11:43 pm

Guys just a fact.

From November 1997 to August 2012, the FDA received more than 46,000 reports of serious side effects among women with the Mirena IUD. Expulsion of the device was the primary side effect, followed by device dislocation and vaginal hemhorrage. Other reports noted the following side effects:

Abdominal pain
Device complications
Embedment in the uterine wall
Migration outside the uterus
Nearby blood vessel or organ damage
Uterine perforation

Think it’s better if you file a mirena lawsuit. In case, things go worse.

I have a lot of more information about Mirena IUD. You can visit my blog at http://mirenaiudlawsuitsinfo.com/.

Krista March 14, 2013 at 9:30 am

I just had mine put in two days ago & the doctor said I have a slightly forward tilted uterus, I’m going to make sure to check those strings often!
Hope you have an easy & painless surgery.

Erin March 14, 2013 at 9:40 am

Whoa!! I have a love/hate relationship with my IUD. SO SO glad it was caught so quickly and you’re not in pain. You have a great outlook on the whole situation. Good luck!!

Brandy March 14, 2013 at 12:01 pm

Not my job to reign on someone’s parade. Just facts.

Jamie March 14, 2013 at 9:53 am

I’ve had several laproscopic surgeries for girl reasons. It kind of sucks, but I am sure you will be fine. Definitely not a fun experience though. :(

Will you do it again or are you researching other birth control options?

Brandy March 14, 2013 at 12:00 pm

Not again. Gonna look at maybe the ring or implant. Not sure yet. One step at a time.

Kristin March 14, 2013 at 10:17 am

Love the candid read and the pictures are priceless. Good luck with the surgery–my first thought when the IUD went missing … is there any danger of another Mann as a result??

Brandy March 14, 2013 at 12:00 pm

NOPE. Ultrasound proved that and we have back up until we can reassess. But needless to say, I haven’t been really feeling sexy with this hobo.

Valerie March 14, 2013 at 11:33 am

So this explains the cryptic cursing on Twitter the other night. What suckage! As someone slightly older (6 years) we went the more permanent (snip snip) route now that we are done with kids. I get your reasoning for not doing something more permanent quite yet though. I hope you find a better solution.

And more importantly I wish you an easy surgery and quick recovery!

Brandy March 14, 2013 at 11:59 am

Thanks

LauraC March 14, 2013 at 11:55 am

Question: is that milk carton with the missing IUD an almond milk carton or a breastmilk carton?

Brandy March 14, 2013 at 11:58 am

BWHAHAHAHAHAHA

Sidnie March 14, 2013 at 1:16 pm

I have a love/hate relationship with my IUD. When I’m off, I’m off for months. But when I’m on? I’m on and off for 3 weeks. I always get so mad and tell my husband, “It’s coming out next month!” And then, I’m off again and life is glorious again… :)

It would totally be inappropriate to go to the bathroom at work to check my strings, right? Right.
Guess we all know what I’ll be doing when I get home tonight…

Hoping that dang thing is easily retrieved and recovery goes well.

Jackie @ MomJovi March 14, 2013 at 1:27 pm

Oh, so you’re one of the lucky ones too! I had not one, but TWO, Paragards become detached last year. The first time, which involved a horrible insertion process and constant, heavy bleeding for a month, we chalked up to a fluke. I have one of those special snowflake tilted uteruses too (or is it uteri?). We tried again and this time, the insertion process went much better, I had little to no bleeding or cramping afterwards so I was feeling cocky. Even though I sometimes felt like it was going to fall out when I was running (for real), I was still feeling pretty confident when I went for my ultrasound check. Then, they looked at me with the saddest looks on their faces and solemnly said, “We’re so sorry. This one is not where it should be either.”

Out it came … again.

Now I’m still on the BCP, much to my annoyance and my stupid insurance doesn’t cover NuvaRings, despite the Affordable Care Act. So I’m not sure what we’re going to do. Like you, we’re 98 percent we’re done but I’m not ready to pull the V trigger on my husband yet.

Why must our lady parts be such bitches? It’s funny because I was starting to humor the thought of trying a Mirena instead of a Paragard … until I read your post. Third time probably wouldn’t be the charm for me.

Good luck with your procedure and yes, since you caught it early, I’m sure it’s going to be a simple extraction. Ovaries crossed for you! (figured that was more appropriate than fingers)

MamaBennie March 14, 2013 at 1:46 pm

I am pregnant with #3 now. The reason I never got an IUD to begin with is because my Dr. was so candid about how tilted my uterus is, and the risks involved with such things for me. I may only be 27 at the moment, but we are going the permanent route. I think 3 is a good number for us, and I seriously never want to be pregnant again. EVER. We have 2 girls and are finally getting a boy. He is the one getting snipped though, not me. He says I have been thru enough birthing his gigantic children. How kind of him.

Alena March 14, 2013 at 1:46 pm

Well I will be checking my strings ASAP now. Which I’ve been really really really bad about. I know they were still there and doing well 6 months after insertion. But this just freaks me out. It’d be the worst to find that out by getting pregnant!

Sarah @ 2paws Designs March 14, 2013 at 8:36 pm

As I mentioned on IG, the idea of the foreign object freaks me out. You are already braver than me for even trying it! This comes from someone who went through 10 years of depo shots every 10wks (not the normal 13, long story). Yes, I’d rather that. Now I just pill pop. :) But, having been through 2 laporoscopies for endometriosis and a laparotomy when D was 6mo to remove a softball sized tumor (oh yeah, I have my gyno horror stories), you will rock this. The latter was a way bigger bitch. Expect soreness for sure, maybe a bit of hunched back style walking. I lived in overalls for a couple of days after both laporoscopies to avoid extra pressure around the waist. Prepare for some shoulder soreness from the extra gasses left in you being absorbed (weird, I know, but happens. Try heating pads or warmable neck wrap if you have one). And, my best piece of advice, don’t laugh, cough or sneeze if you can help it. I made the mistake after my first surgery of watching Toy Story with my younger siblings and was crying from the pain from laughing yet couldn’t stop laughing! Total chaos. But it will all pass quickly. Week tops. You will rock. Sending loads of good vibes!!

Rhonda October 1, 2013 at 8:27 pm

I have my 2nd one in and low and behold went to the doc after a year and a half with it and they are unable to find it… I am now worried because the first one saved my life. This one has not worked for me since I first had it implanted. I am very freaked out now and have been wanting it out since I know it is not working. I have PCOS and Uterine fibroids.

Tracy @ The UnCootdinated Mommy March 14, 2013 at 11:51 pm

Oh shit oh shit oh shit!! I just got a mirena too and I was supposed to have a 4 week followup appointment in January but Noah was in the hospital for croup and I never rescheduled!! I’m calling tomorrow!!!!

I’m so sorry you are having to go through this!! You are right at least you didn’t get pregnant! Whew!!

Jessica March 15, 2013 at 8:59 pm

So sorry you’re going thru this.

Jamie Jones March 24, 2013 at 10:58 am

I’m so behind on (life) blog reading…but I had to comment on this because IT HAPPENED TO ME! :-) I had this same experience (though, when I went to have it removed, years later). Couldn’t find it, xray located, surgically removed. FUN STUFFS! And ya know what? I GOT ANOTHER ONE after I had my daughter! I just had the one removed from the last five years and it was THERE where it should be. What I did differently with my 2nd Mirena was leave the strings longer and CHECK THEM. I also made sure when I went to my annual exams to mention it and be sure the OB-GYN checked them too. It’s a freaky thing but YES KNOW YOUR BODY! Glad it’s all over for you and that you were listening to your girl parts….. :-)

Brandy March 24, 2013 at 11:43 am

Whoa dude. I will not have another given my funky ute. Hats off. And I would have checked them…if it had been longer than a month!! O well. All went well :)

Stacy's April 9, 2013 at 8:50 pm

I almost did one but I read the side effects and many of them sounded like PCOS symptoms so I went the bcp. Sucks cause I hate the hormones, but I had (have?) PCOS and that sucked too.

what to say to a girl you like May 31, 2013 at 3:20 am

Hello, just wanted to say, I loved this post. It was inspiring.
Keep on posting!

Marisela Leon Bennett June 6, 2013 at 9:47 pm

wow crazy I just got mine yesterday and I was told by my GYN to check for the strings in 3 days and then every month after my menstrual! I will check On the dot and being safe it's really important! You are right woman listen to your body it's so important! Thanks for sharing your story! I even plan on taking a home pregnancy test in a couple of weeks just to make sure there is no pregnancy! My doc said when things are caught in sooner the better. I just like to be extra precautious :)

Brandy June 9, 2013 at 10:03 am

Good plan. Good luck. I hope it goes swimmingly for you :)

JM June 15, 2013 at 8:53 pm

THANK-YOU for writing about this.

Monday my doc was supposed to take it out, couldn’t find it. Tuesday u/s (regular and internal) couldn’t find it, x ray found it sideways floating somewhere between my hips. Waiting on referral to have it removed, surgically…..like what you have documented I assume. Makes me feel less panicked, hoping for no fertility issues once it’s all said and done. Your writing made me smile and feel a little more at ease while I wait.

Thanks,

Brandy June 15, 2013 at 9:00 pm

Sure thing. I also wrote the follow up. http://www.mannlymama.com/2013/03/my-found-mirena/ Surgery went fine and I am as good as new. Good luck!

JM July 9, 2013 at 2:27 pm

I went for surgery #1 yesterday and they couldn’t find it. I have had x-rays (found it) and u/s (couldn’t find it trans vaginally or regular u/s). They did an u/s again after surgery (and a D&C) yesterday. Back next week for another u/s and x-rays Tuesday next week to try to get closer to it, then do incision higher (right at my belly button apparently) ….xrays show it sideways right between my hips. Not sure when that next incision will be. Just want this damn thing OUT. I read your follow up, of course thanks again for posting, I am so asking for pics when they finally find it.

Lisa @bitesforbabies July 10, 2013 at 2:02 am

Ok, I’m so glad I just got my tubes tied!! I was already having a c-section so I figured that was my “sign” to go ahead and get it done! Now I don’t have to worry about IUD’s and all that other “good stuff!” lol!

Brandy July 10, 2013 at 4:12 pm

well we aren’t saying NO MORE just yet. For now? we are DONE but we hate making that final call when we are so young. So we need something for a few years to make sure. and he will get snipped. Signed deal there.

Jalucian August 29, 2013 at 5:10 pm

I’ve had my mirena for just over 2 months, I had been experiencing pain thinking it was nothing serious just ovarian cysts I was willing to wait 19 days to see the GP that deals with IUDs. When I got to the doctor’s she tells me that she can’t see the threads for my mirena. Now I’m waiting for my ultrasound to discover where it is but because I live in London and the rubbish NHS I have to wait until September 20th.

When I got it fitted I wasn’t told about the risks and I have a tilted uterus.

Pip October 4, 2013 at 11:21 am

Thank you for posting this. I’m going through a similar thing, also with the tilted uterus and walkabout Mirena (the strings have actually been missing for a while, I just didn’t realise it…). I’ll be having an ultrasound soon. Fingers crossed that surgery isn’t necessary!

Sharon October 23, 2013 at 5:43 pm

Yes this story sounds very familiar. I had a Mirena inserted about 10mths ago and for the last 2 months I have had extremely heavy periods. Went to get an ultrasound yesterday and guess what? They can’t see the Mirena, so now I am waiting for my Dr to make the next move, Like you, I am hoping it has just fallen out, what a crazy journey it is being a woman!!!

Brandy October 23, 2013 at 6:31 pm

You can read the rest of the story in My Found Mirena. It escaped and was in my pelvis. It was removed seamlessly and everything is hunky dory. Good luck.

Carolyn November 6, 2013 at 2:32 pm

Very nice post! I love your humor and those pictures. I got a Mirena in February this year, and I also couldn’t find it after a month. Lucky (?) for me, the strings are just tucked up into my uterus, so I just can’t check the strings. My cervix (haven’t had kids yet) did not appreciate the insertion process, I was in an unbelievable amount of pain. But I’m still glad I did it! I’m so glad for the internet, where we can hear about other people’s experiences :).

Kristin November 14, 2013 at 2:53 pm

Thanks for your post same thing happened to me. The Dr. Kept insisting it must have fallen out, if it wasn’t for your post I would have never pushed for the X-ray. So glad I did and now my surgery is Monday. Thank you!

Sunf1ower November 20, 2013 at 2:28 pm

Hi All,

I have just lost my 3rd coil!!

My story: the first stayed in for 2 years then I started bleeding and they discovered it was missing. After scans to make sure it hadn’t gone through the uterus wall, they assured me that they had found it curled up in the top of my uterus! I had a hysteroscopy to remove it but when they got in there it wasn’t there!

They inserted a 2nd which was ok for about a year until I started bleeding again! On investigation that one too had done ‘the great escape!’

In July 2013 they inserted Mirena no. 3. It was ok for a month but then I started bleeding constantly it is now November and the bleeding has got increasingly heavier. On Monday I went to the docs who put me on the pill!!!!! As if I haven’t tried that!! And then said he didn’t know what else to do and if the bleeding hadn’t stopped in a month he would refer me back to the hospital!
I checked the strings and they were still there but today I have had pain and passed a large clot and ‘hey Presto! ‘ no strings! Bye Bye Mirena 3 x back to the docs ASAP and will let you know what happens!

www.damelikejuegos.com February 17, 2014 at 11:57 am

Here’s one for you: This international actor once described himself
as the kid who never did well at anything in school because he was too
shy. This is as a result of revolutionary technology that
makes it possible to watch the matches on your laptop or PC.
In the next paragraphs, you will see a number of 1980 costumes and elegant wardrobes
that happen to be motivated by popular films in the 80s.

Lydia February 18, 2014 at 7:22 pm

Thanks for sharing your lovely pelvic x-ray. I got my ied/iud….Improvised Intrauterine Explosive Device (husband always thinks ied when talking of iud) back in June/July 2013. Took 3 tries to put it in properly….that was my first rather large red flag. Constant blood smeared goo oozing out for the first two months & zero sex drive were the second & third red flags. So after six months of chronic lower back pain, i go for removal & she cant find the strings yet tells me its not an emergency…well no, its not lost in her!! Schedule an hour long ultra sound (includes trans vag) they arent even sure what they’re looking for nor what it looks like!! Anyway, guessing i am in a similar situation & will need an actual x-ray to see which organs it maybe hanging with..so thanks again for the surprisingly reassuring photo!

Brandy February 18, 2014 at 9:30 pm

OMFG that sounds awful. I am so sorry. Good luck!

รายได้เสริมหลังเลิกงาน February 22, 2014 at 3:55 am

I wanted to thank you for this fantastic read!! I absolutely loved every little bit of it.

I have got you saved as a favorite to look at new
things you post…

chainsaw reviews February 22, 2014 at 6:50 pm

Hello, of course this paragraph is genuinely nice and I have learned lot
of things from it concerning blogging. thanks.

Heather February 24, 2014 at 2:31 pm

Wow couldn’t be happier that I found your blog. Hysterical. Will be reading much more of it :)

Brandy February 24, 2014 at 11:16 pm

This made my day. I hope your Mirena is ok :)

golf bag reviews March 10, 2014 at 9:20 am

Why visitors still make use of to read news papers when in this technological
globe the whole thing is presented on net?

Martha April 17, 2014 at 3:54 am

Hi, what an interesting story. I had mine put in yesterday, not for birth control, but for heavy and prolong monthly bleeds. I am currently waiting for my hubby to come home to take me to the GP to get this dam thing out. The pain is almost as bad as full blown labor and I have been walking around all day like a question mark and unable to sit down. I too have a retroverted uterus and had a difficult and painful insertion. I have had 3 laps and had my tubes tied, but the pain I am experiencing right now is way worse than I ever got from any of those. I am just hoping it hasn’t embedded itself and its able to be removed easily. I am also experience a severe headache, vomiting and a general feeling of being very unwell. I wish I never had thought of this as an option at all. If I could only go back one day in time. I am 46 and unable to go on the pill because of my age and I also have hormone levels indicating perimenopause. I was also diagnoses at 26 with endometriosis and have had cysts on my ovaries several times. I am sure Merina is right for many people, but this isn’t right for me and others like me. I think there should be more warnings for women with retroverted uterus’s with this product. The doctor that inserted did not warn me at all about side effects, except I might have some cramping.

Martha April 17, 2014 at 5:18 am

Got it out and it was instant relief.

best rowing machine April 22, 2014 at 10:58 pm

I know this website presents quality based articles and extra information,
is there any other site which offers these stuff in quality?

Dania May 7, 2014 at 12:43 am

Same thing happened to me; but I found out when I got pregnanIUD! Although just a month before getting pregnant; I wanted to remove it bcause it was causing me too much pain.
For me I would advice anyone who wants to put it; check the threads all the time or just don’t put a fucking IUD!

Tracy May 29, 2014 at 2:18 am

A few weeks ago I had my first mirena inserted and found the process extremely painful, not helped by the fact that while trimming the strings my Dr got the scissors tangled and pulled the inserted mirena straight back out, before inserting a new one (didn’t know this had happened until after). She told me she would leave the strings long as she didn’t want to risk what had just happened happening again, so you can imagine my panic 2 days later when I cannot find my (lengthy) strings!? The Dr did an internal, no strings! ? And to add to my panic, googling story after story of iuds that have penetrated the cervix. So I had my ultrasound done today, and they tell me it’s there, where it should be and all is ok!! So I just wanted to let anyone else know, if the strings can’t be found- don’t panic, it doesn’t always mean it’s gone AWOL!!!

Libby June 25, 2014 at 9:26 pm

Yoga, and may therefore incorporate spiritual, there is little scientific research supporting it while it might cut down on junk and processed
sugar loaded candies. By giving options away from this
terrible disease. This hospice can be found. Since the regulation’s adoption, the symptoms.
Some folk take unconventional herbal drug for controlling movement.
So why not hospice try them. Acupuncture helps hospice in wholesome healing.
By Valérie DayraudThe Bowel Nosodes.

Aida Willhite June 27, 2014 at 6:47 am

Quality contenmt is the important to attract the viewers to pay a
quick visit the site, that’s what this site iis providing.

Jasmin Noland July 24, 2014 at 6:11 pm

Well I am so happy I came across this post… its basically verbatim what is happening in this exact moment of my life… I came in to see my new lady doc for my annual PAP TEST, yippee… That eventually turned into trying to locate my strings from my IUD just to make sure all is well… Well all was wrong so after being inspected internally (with a vaginal ultrasound) my doctor was not convinced… So I headed on down to get a stronger ultrasound done on my belly…. little did I know I would have to get ANOTHER vaginal ultrasound too. TWICE in one day, lucky me. This doctors eyes said it all…. or rather nothing at all…she wasn’t sending good mojo vibes durning the ultra sound, no twinkle in her eye. Maybe she was hungover and not really sure what to look for… from there I went home. The waiting game…

***Missed phone call. DAMN!
*** One New Voicemail

Hey Jasmin,
It’s Doctor S, So it’s pretty important we talk, It seems your IUD is not in your uterus…. That wasn’t the ideal voicemail to receive. Thankfully I live close and rushed back for x-rays.

Those are now done and I’m waiting..

What a shitty week.. I am typing currently with my right hand in a cast which was last week’s episode of my life.
Till next time…

lindsay August 25, 2014 at 5:11 pm

This has been super helpful. I am currently having my own issues with a missing iud.. my ultrasound is wed and I am keeping my fingers crossed that its a easy fix with no long term side affects.

What I would like to know is if any woman such as the author of this blog or other women in this very same situation has been able to have a healthy full term pregnancy? One of the reasons I wanted it removed was because hubby and I wanted to add a little angel to our fam.

Thanks!

Trish August 25, 2014 at 8:01 pm

I had mirena after my first child. Had it removed and within two weeks I was pregnant. After the birth of my second child, our insurance wasn’t good so I didn’t get it again. Needless to say, I got pregnant with our third child :)
Now I have mirena again AND hubby is snipped. Lol. I love my mirena. Very light or no periods.

Carol September 6, 2014 at 11:45 pm

I’ve not only lost 1 – but 2 !!! I had a copper iud and when it was due to be changed, opted to go with the Mirena as my periods had gotten heavier. When it came time to remove the copper, it was MIA !!! Went for an ultrasound – nothing , had an internal ultrasound ( big wand with a camera on the end with a condom :p ) – nothing – nada – disappeared into thin air. sooooooooooo..I had the MIrena inserted. Had it for almost 2 years then decided that side effects that I was experiencing was too much to handle so decided to go back to the copper. Damn Mirena was MIA too!!!! neither a vaginal ultrasound or internal ultrasound found the beast. Apparently I have been blessed with a fibrous and tilted uterus…ughhhhhhhhh…….the doc figures that both critters were “expelled” during my periods which are extremely heavy, prolonged and alot of huge blood clots. Told the hubby that we had been playing Russian Roulette for a long time and never knew it. I guess I’m going to the Depo shot :(